Posted by Kahla Livelsberger in #YHSafetyTips, May 31, 2017
Do you know what to do if you or someone else is choking? Knowing how to perform the Heimlich Maneuver is extremely important, as it could save a persons life. When you are choking, you will not be able to breath. If the Heimlich is not performed within 4 minutes, severe damage or even death can occur. There are a few ways that the Heimlich can be performed based on the specific situation.
If the person is in an upright position:
1. Standing behind the person, wrap your arms around their waist
2. With your hands, make a fist and place it on their upper abdomen below the ribcage.
3. Press into the victims abdomen quickly with upward pressure. Make sure you do not squeeze the ribcage.
4. Repeat until the person stops choking.
If the person is unconscious or lying on the ground:
1. Make sure the victim is laying on their back.
2. Kneel ontop of the person
3. Take one of your hands, one on top of another, and place them on the abdomen above the naval but below the ribcage.
4. Repeat until the victim stops choking.
If you are choking and you are alone:
1. Make a fist like you would if you were giving another person the Heimlich - below the ribcage and above the naval.
2. Press with quick upward pressure.
3. Repeat until you stop choking.
4. You could also lean over a fixed object and press your abdomen against it with the same motion your fist would do.
Now that you know how to perform the Heimlich, you can help save a life when someone nearby is choking. Choking is the 6th most common cause of accidental death in the United States. Knowing the proper techniques when performing the Heimlich can reduce this number.
For reference or more information you can visit: henryheimlich.com
If you haven’t read last week post on Ergonomics, read here. Check back next week for our topic on Flight Safety